Waiting on the FDA, an exercise in futility
Are you still waiting for the FDA to remove MSG and MfG — manufactured free glutamate — from the FDA’s GRAS (generally recognized as safe) list? So are we. But it won’t happen. The FDA is on record as not doing anything that the Glutes don’t want them to do. So the chances that the FDA will ever respond to Citizen Petition FDA-2021-P-0035 are next to none.
There is a great deal of evidence that attests to the fact that MSG and its MfG component cause brain damage as well as adverse reactions like heart irregularities, asthma, and seizures. And there is absolutely no evidence that either MSG or MfG is harmless.
It’s all there for you to read on the pages of The Truth In Labeling Campaign Website (www.truthinlabeling.org). But to save you time here are a number of resources for easy access.
- Citizen Petition FDA-2021-P-0035: https://www.truthinlabeling.org/assets/gras_petition_final_web.pdf
- Comment link: https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=FDA-2021-P-0035-0001
- Seven lines of evidence leading to the conclusion that manufactured free glutamate, no matter where it is found, is toxic: https://www.truthinlabeling.org/assets/seven_lines_master_mfg_notmsg.pdf
- Review of data that demonstrate that glutamate in human tissue becomes excitotoxic — brain damaging — when present in amounts that exceed what a healthy person needs for normal body function: https://www.truthinlabeling.org/assets/seven_lines/Seven_Lines_Line1.pdf
- Review of animal studies done in the 1970s that have demonstrated the toxicity of MSG and MfG: evidence that the glutamate in MSG and other flavor enhancers and protein substitutes becomes excitotoxic — brain damaging — when present in amounts that exceed what a healthy subject needs for normal body function: https://www.truthinlabeling.org/assets/seven_lines/Seven_Lines_Lines2.pdf
- Review of animal data offered inappropriately as evidence that MSG is harmless: https://www.truthinlabeling.org/assets/seven_lines/Seven_Lines_Lines3.pdf
- Review of Alerts from independent researchers warning of dangers posed by ingesting MSG: https://www.truthinlabeling.org/assets/seven_lines/Seven_Lines_Line4.pdf
- Review of human studies that have demonstrated the toxicity of MSG — and some thoughts on why there are so few of them: https://www.truthinlabeling.org/assets/seven_lines/Seven_Lines_Line5.pdf
- Review of glutamate industry human studies rigged to produce negative results: https://www.truthinlabeling.org/assets/seven_lines/Seven_Lines_Line6.pdf
- Thank you letters from people helped by information on the webpage of the Truth in Labeling Campaign: https://www.truthinlabeling.org/assets/seven_lines/Seven_Lines_Line7.pdf
- Industry’s FDA: https://www.truthinlabeling.org/assets/industrys_fda_final.pdf